Saturday 17 November 2012

My Top 10 Johnny Depp Films

1.) Cry-Baby (1990)

Okay okay, I know this isn't the greatest Johnny Depp movie, I know that. But I don't care! I mean, have you seen him?! Just ridiculously pretty. A parody of Grease, this is now considered a cult classic. Funny and offbeat, thank God Waters cast Depp only on the basis of seeing an ad for 21 Jump Street.

2.) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)

- There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Flawed, bizarre, completely unpredictable but strangely alluring. About as coherent as Hunter S. Thompson himself, which is a good thing.

3.) What's Eating Gilbert Grape? (1993)

- Tell me what you want as fast as it comes to you.
- I wanna be a good person.

DiCaprio may be the standout, but fine performances all round in a film about a dysfunctional family.

4.) Arizona Dream (1993)

Such a weird film, which is probably why I like it. I don't even know where to begin when summing it up, just go watch it ok?

5.) The Ninth Gate (1999)

I'll be the first to admit it's not Polanski's best but something about it makes me tune in whenever it's on TV. If you can suspend your disbelief at the frankly ludicrous plot, its a compellingly atmospheric and sytlish chiller. Part sublime, part wacky.

6.) Ed Wood (1994)

- Listen, I was wondering if you'd like to go out sometime, grab some dinner, maybe?
- You mean a date? I thought you were a fag.
- No, no, I'm just a transvestite.

Oh look, a Tim Burton movie that I actually like. It's disturbing how good Depp looks as a woman. I think the reason I like this is that it's a film about filmmaking, horror movies in particular, Martin Landau is outstanding as Bela Lugosi.

7.) Donnie Brasco (1997)

A gritty and humorous crime drama about an undercover FBI agent infiltrating the Mafia. Pacino and Depp make quite the double act. Gangsters, Pacino and Depp - what more could you want?

8.) Blow (2001)

Maybe a bit style over substance, it evokes such films as Boogie Nights and Goodfellas. Just not as good.

9.) From Hell (2001)

The Hughes Brothers take on a true lavish Hollywood period film. Apparently not all that factual, but the absinthe-addicted Depp makes it.

10.) Once Upon a Time in Mexico (2003)

Depp steals the show in the last chapter of Rodriguez's Mariachi trilogy. A hot mess of a movie; violent, crazy, pulp fun. Depp is almost as quippy as he is as Jack Sparrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment